New Residents

fresh-approach-homeMoving to a new home is an exciting time, but before you can sit back and enjoy your new Ryder Home, don’t forget to establish the necessities.

All utilities have been installed and are being provided by the builder until the close of escrow. It will be the homeowner’s responsibility to transfer service into the homeowner’s name no later than 72 hours after the close of escrow. CAUTION: If transfer is not completed by 72 hours after the close of escrow, service will be disconnected and the homeowner will be responsible for additional reconnect charges as well as any current charges.

There is a connection fee, plus a deposit. The deposit is refunded with interest after one (1) year of a good payment record. The deposit may be waived with a letter from the previous electrical company stating good credit record for a minimum of one (1) year. For hook-up or other information, contact NV Energy by calling (775) 834-4444 or visiting 6100 Neil Road, Reno, NV. or online at

There is a deposit required. Your deposit is refundable after one (1) year of a good payment record. For service information, contact Truckee Meadow’s Water Authority by calling (775) 834-8080. For Water Watchers (water conservation) please call (775) 834-8005.

Trash disposal service is paid quarterly, and there is a $48.00 deposit required. For service and pickup days, contact Waste Management by calling (775) 329-8822 or 1-800-637-8648. Waste cans and recycle bins are also be obtained through Reno Disposal. Be sure to contact them after you close escrow so your containers can be delivered within 10-20 days.

Sewer services are supplied by the City of Sparks (775) 353-2360 and billed quarterly.

There may be a refundable deposit required, as well as an installation charge. The deposit may be waived with proof of one (1) year verifiable employment or proof of verifiable phone service in the person’s name within the last year. Contact AT&T by calling (800) 288-2020 or visiting 1450 Vassar Street, Reno, NV.

Mail delivery is conveniently located at cluster boxes inside the community. Keys for your mailbox must be picked up at the USPS office located at 2929 Vista Blvd., Sparks, NV. You must take some paperwork verifying your new address.

Must reside in the state of Nevada. In Washoe County, a person must register 30 days before an election in order to vote.
To register, contact Voter Registration by calling (775) 328-3670 or visiting 1001 E. Ninth Street, Reno, NV., or online at

The requirements for getting a Nevada State Driver’s License include Nevada proof of insurance, a social security card, and proof of age. A written test and eye examination must be taken. There is no need for a road test if the person has a valid driver’s license from any other state and less than three (3) citations in the last four (4) years. For more information, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at (775) 684-4368 or visit 305 Galetti Way, Reno, NV.

The state requires prior state’s registration, title (only if you plan to change title), and vehicle identification number. Nevada requires a smog inspection on vehicles newer than 1967 and a state-approved inspector must perform the smog inspection. Nevada also requires proof of insurance and proof of sales-tax paid (if vehicle has not been previously registered). Nevada only allows a new resident 45 days to register his/her vehicle before fines can be implemented.
For further information contact Department of Motor Vehicles at (775) 684-4368 or visit them at 305 Galetti Way, Reno, NV or online at

For residency information for the University of Nevada, Reno, NV or Truckee Meadows Community College, contact the Admissions and Records Offices for each institution.

All new students need their birth certificates as proof of identity, and must be immunized for Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping Cough, Polio, Rubella, and Rubeola (Measles). Student must be five (5) years of age on or before September 30 to enter kindergarten. Student must be six (6) years of age on or before September 30 to enter first grade. For enrollment in elementary, middle or high school contact Washoe County School District by calling (775) 348-0200 or visit them at 425 E 9th Street, Reno, NV or online at or at

Dogs must be licensed with current rabies certificates with a two (2) year renewal term. Contact Animal Control Division, 2825 Longley Lane, Reno, NV (775) 858-1616.

The company is Charter Communication Services, 9335 Prototype Drive, Reno, NV. For sales call (775) 350-1734; for service, call (866) 731-5420.

Reno Gazette-Journal—955 Kuenzli Lane, Reno, NV (775) 788-8062
Sparks Tribune—1002 “C” Street, Sparks, NV (775) 358-8062

Renown Medical Center—77 Pringle Way, Reno, NV (775) 982-4100
St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center—235 W. Sixth Street, Reno, NV (775) 770-3000
Northern Nevada Medical Center—2375 E. Prater Way, Sparks, NV (775) 331-7000
Washoe County Health Department—1001 E. Ninth Street, Reno, NV (775) 328-2400
Veterans Affairs Medical Center—1000 Locust Street, Reno, NV (775) 786-7200